Head Lice ICK!! Some Facts and Prevention tips…
School is back in season and that means possible Head Lice outbreaks. I have had many of you ask if there is a natural way to help prevent your child and family in not getting Head Lice. The good news is that there is a way to help prevent Head Lice hitting your home.
I know many families that have had the stress and nuisance of dealing with Head Lice and the anxiety of having to deal with that all over again each school year. I am happy to help and let you know “There’s an Oil for that”. First a little bit about Head Lice, contrary to most peoples conceptions it is not because someone is dirty or does not have good hygiene as some may think. Anyone can get Head Lice!
Here are some facts:
- Studies show that head lice are becoming resistant to some treatments. Some parents end up self-treating head lice up to 5 times before seeking professional care.
- Head lice are yellowish-white insects that are about the size of a sesame seed.
- They spread through head-to-head contact.
- Lice need human blood to live. In fact, head lice that are left on your blankets or pillows may die within 48 hours without a human host to feed on.
- It takes about 8 or 9 days for head lice nits (eggs) to hatch.
- An itchy scalp is the most common symptom of head lice. But not everyone with head lice gets itchy – itchiness happens only in people who are allergic to head lice saliva.
- Pets don't get head lice and spread them to people.
- Lice don't have wings, therefore they cannot fly. They also don't
hop or jump. But they can crawl quickly! The buildup of static electricity
from brushing dry hair can launch a louse right off your head.
- Head lice cannot live on your pets
- Head lice cannot live and breed in your environment i.e. couches, carpets, cars, movie theaters, airplanes
- Head lice are not signs of unwashed hair-they thrive in clean hair rather than dirty hair
- Daily wash only the clothing, bedding, brushes and hair accessories used during your head lice infestation
- lice is detected have your entire household screened
- Inform your school and friends you have head lice to avoid further cross pollination
- Relax and take a deep breath!
Here is a great natural recipe for a Head Lice Prevention Spray that I make and it smells amazing unlike others on the market with harsh chemicals in it. I also sell it in the online store too!! (http://www.hopefaithhealthblog.com/417934863/product/1486014/lice-prevention-spray?catid=408412 )
Lice Prevention Spray
4oz Distilled Water in a spray bottle
10 Drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
10 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
10 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
10 Drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
10 Drops Rosemary Essential Oil
Use every day during a lice breakout to help aid in the prevention of getting lice. Can be used daily. Spray on hair line all around the head and mist on top of head and comb thru do not saturate the hair. Careful to avoid the eye area.
I hope this Blog Post helps and the information is useful to you. Make the switch to natural products and check out the rest of the blog for more helpful information.
*This information is my own research and not intended to replace medical attention if needed.*